Henry Jaye in / Southwarke / 1626 [handwritten, not all capital letters]
No. of Strings:
Alfred Lessing, Düsseldorf; Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Prussia, before 1797
H. Hickethier to TGM, 6/98
Fleming 2007, p. 30 (JP 16)
On owner’s website (front 3/4, above bridge [color]); [unpublished, K. Martius 1/07: F+S, head FB+S, label, other details (color); F+S, head FB+S, labels before restoration];
Restored by Alfred Lessing and Rainold Passauro-Zuccaro (Belgium). Martius: 5-piece table with replacement rosette (signed Carl Bachmann on back) and double purfling, 2-piece back and ribs of fruitwood (?). Neck, pegbox, head, bass bar, and all external fittings not original, but top block is. Owner’s website: converted from 6 to 7 strings in France; probably converted to cello in 1787; rebuilt as viol in 1984. Photos at Berlin museum show it converted to a cello [before 1955?]. Repair labels: Christian Gottlob Huber, Hof. Instrument. M. in Bayreuth reparirt 1767; Repaired by H.C. Vrint, 107 Wardour Street N, London June 4th 1885 [or 1825?]; Repariert Hans Broß Geigenbaumeiter Düsseldorf 1955. Hickethier’s dimensions 72.8, 33.0/-/39.3, 14.0, -.