Franciscus Rugier detto il Per / fecit Cremonae Anno 1699 [printed except 99]
No. of Strings:
Musée de la musique, Fonds Casadesus
Dépôt de la Bibliothèque nationale, musée-bibliothèque de l’Opéra, 1993; Famille Casadesus, -1969
TGM visit 8/11; museum’s website; Gétreau 1996, p. 747
Gétreau 2001, p. 40; Gétreau 1996, pp. 339, 747
On museum’s website (FB+S, head side; front 7/8, head 3/4 [color]); [unpublished, from museum via M. Herzog: FB+S, head side]; [by TGM: label (color)]
Website: attributed to Ruggieri. Gétreau 2001: has a label reading Rugieri 1699 but difficult to authenticate; its interest comes from its use by the Casadesus family in the early 20th-C. revival movement. Gétreau 1996, p. 164: played in a concert of the Société de Musique d’Autrefois, 21 April 1966; restored by Marcel & Étienne Vatelot. TGM: table has high arching, greatly varied width of woodgrain, and delicate white design between (diagonal) ends of fingerboard and tailpiece, probably ink or paint (not inlaid); flame holes have lower eyes; no purfling on table or back. Head grafted to pegbox, which appears integral with neck; all holes bushed and moved slightly farther from nut. Bridge marked F. Billottet a Paris; tailgut and button with hole for endpin. Repair label: Repariert durch / J. H. Torniten / Göttingen 1797 [handwritten]. W. Monical (to TGM 10/16): plain and unmatched materials, unskilled workmanship (perhaps by an apprentice or cabinet maker). Varnish and carved head seem German, and saddle for tailgut very South-German in style, but pegbox and neck are replacements.