No. of Strings:
Musée des instruments de musique
E0114 (formerly JT 251)
Moens 1995, pp. 174-87
Moens 1995, pp. 174-87; Edmunds 1994, p. 21
On museum’s website (front [color]); Moens 1995, pp. 175-76, 178-79, 181, 183-84, 186 (F+S, head side, neck, label, interior details); Edmunds 1994, pp. 20-21 (front view with table removed); Moens 1987, p. 370 (bottom block)
Moens 1995: Top not attached to rest of body. Not in Mahillon’s inventory; came to light only in 1979. Pegbox, 2-piece neck, and fingerboard show signs of having been made smaller, but table does not. However, flame holes anachronistic for 16th C.; and cross braces on underside of table are very suspicious. Dendrochronology doesn’t help. Top layer of varnish is relatively recent, as is much of the physical damage. Perhaps cut down from a small 5-string contrabass originally made in S. Germany, early 17th C. Museum’s website: date 1550/1700, place made Autriche. No ears on scroll.