# of Strings:
Swedish Museum of Performing Arts
Made by / Tho: Collingwood for / John miller in Corn hill / over against the old flece / Tavern London 1686 [handwritten]
[acquired in 1956]
Museum website; museum to TGM, 4/04; PT visit 10/78
MacCracken 2016, pp. 192-93; [unpublished restoration report by Günther Hellwig, from museum 4/04]
On museum’s website (front [color]); MacCracken 2016, p. 193 (FB+S); [unpublished, from museum, 4/04: FB+S, head front 3/4; in 1/11, label (color)]
Tourin: Table with double purfling and fleur-de-lys patterns at corners, central ornament; 3-piece back with double purfling and diamond patterns at bottom, middle, and below fold (like those on 1694 Collingwood). Black and white edges on fingerboard (new) and tailpiece. Dimensions 64.5, 30.0/22.3/36.5, 12.0, 64.0-67.0. Restored in 1960 by Günther Hellwig: listed dimensions from his report. Body completely original, probably also neck “obwohl er ausserordentlich lang ist” (32 cm). Table with double purfling had been shortened, and neck reworked for use as a cello. New top block and bass bar; back braces not original but kept as found, adding another at fold. New fingerboard to match existing tailpiece (probably not original, but early 18th-C. French); also new nut, soundpost, bridge, and pegs. Old repair labels: “Reparerad af . and: Hultqvist / år 1806” (and 1885, illegible). Photo: head looks upward.