# of Strings:
IOACHIM TIELKE // in Hamburg, An. 1702 [small format, printed except 702, altered from printed 16--]
On loan from Walter Back, Swisstal; his grandfather, 1908- ; Karl Semler, Lindau-Hochbuch, 1878-1908; Cistercian monastery, Ebrach
Hellwig 2011, pp. 344-45; Martius 1999, p. 49; Hellwig 1980, p. 270; PT visits 6/77 & 9/78
Hellwig 2011, p. 344; Martius 1999, p. 49; Huber 1989, p. 91; Hellwig 1980, p. 270
On museum’s website (FB+S, head side [color]); Hellwig 2011, p. 345 (head 3/4 [color])
Hellwig 2011, TieWV 126; Hellwig 1980, no. 108 (not seen by him; info from F. Hellwig). 3-piece table with non-original single purfling and bass bar; outline altered with loss of original double purfling; 2-piece back (arched and bent). Pegbox with open-carved back. Neck has been shortened; fingerboard, and tailpiace not original. Repair label: “Reparirt / Domenikus Kasper / Saiten- Instrumentenmacher. / Wangen im Allgäu, 1879” [printed except 9]; this refers to instrument being converted to four strings at the request of owner Karl Semler. Dimensions 62.2, 27.7/18.9/33.2, 11.7, 57.5. Martius 1999: converted to child’s cello, cut down in all directions. Website: shown with long, non-retractable endpin. Hellwig 2011 adds: top and bottom blocks not original; slight remains of neck at foot and just below pegbox. Back widths 27.5/19.1/32.9.