DHV:
1458
Tourin ID:

1610

Bass

Henry

Jaye

# of Strings:

(4)

Place Made:

GB, London (Southwark)

Body Shape:

Festoon

Current Location:

CDN, Toronto, Ontario

Sound Holes:

Flame

Collection:

Royal Ontario Museum

Head:

Female

Catalog Number:

913.4.31

Label Text:

Henrie Jaye / dwelling in Southwarke / 1610 [handwritten]

Measurements:

String Length:

68-69

Total Length:

Body Length:

70

Upper Width:

32

Rib Depth:

12.4

Middle Width:

22.5

Bottom Width:

37.9

Previous Owner:

R. S. Williams, Toronto, -1913

Information Source:

TGM visit 1/07; museum to TGM, 9/06

Literature:

Photographs:

Recordings:

Auctions:

Comments:

Fleming 2007, p. 30 (JP 17); Galpin 1910, p. 90

[Unpublished, from museum (F+B 7/8, side 3/4, head 3/4, diamond ornament at bottom of back, label); [by TGM: pegbox front, head FB+S, label (color)]

Festoon-shaped body, very pointed upper corners and one inner corner in each side of lower bout. Converted to cello, keeping original head; status of pegbox unclear (has 4 pegs plus 2 empty holes, but also grafts to head and neck). 2-piece table not original: irregular and coarse wood grain, flat arching, no purfling or other decoration, flame holes with small top eyes. 2-piece slab-cut back with wings, double purfling, and pattern of diamonds at bottom. In poor condition, with top block broken away and bottom block missing (also hookbar, tailpiece, and bridge). Linen and some wood linings, no corner blocks or crossbars except soundpost plate. Handwritten notes by Ray Nurse (1995) in museum file: “label seems authentic and in its original place” [though NB not in block capitals]; original back, ribs, and carved head (but not pegbox), probably also soundpost plate; “some fine original varnish on parts of the back and ribs”; table “is a coarse replacement, ...jointed off-centre”. Many internal repairs using both linen and cleats; no corner blocks. Galpin 1910: “We have recently seen in a well-known auction room a fantastically shaped Bass Viol of small size, of which, however, only the back, sides and carved head were original, with the label “Henrie Jaye, dwelling in Southwarke 1610”.