JOACHIM TIELKE // in Hamburg/ An. 1691 [large format, printed except 91]
No. of Strings:
Probably made for Kurfürst Maximilian II Emanuel von Bayern (1662-1726); later to Mannheim, perhaps during reign of Kurfürst Carl Theodor von der Pfalz (1724-99); still later kept at Schloss Bamberg, Bavaria; to museum in 1857
Hellwig 2011, pp. 289-96; PT visit 9/78
Hellwig 2011, pp. 289-96; Hellwig 1980, pp. 215-21; van der Straeten 1910a, p. 324
Hellwig 2011, pp. 86 (head side), 290-95 (FB+SS, head 3/4, B+S, details of neck heel, FB+TP, hookbar, Orpheus medallion [color]); van der Meer 1983, p. 145 (front 3/4, back 7/8 [color]); Rueger 1982/1986, pl. 26 (back) & 58 (head); Hellwig 1980, pp. 215-20 (FB+S, neck foot both sides, head FB+S, back ornament, fingerboard + tailpiece); Baines 1966, pl. 111-2 (front 7/8, back); van der Straeten 1910a, facing p. 324 (F+B)
Hellwig 2011, TieWV 064; Hellwig 1980, no. 059. 2-piece table with ebony/ivory edging and rosette; back (flat with fold) with ivory edging and single purfling, entirely covered with small ebony and ivory squares, surrounding 6 decorative oval plaques; ribs inlaid with ebony and ivory (one side in reverse colors to the other), framed by same pattern that covers the back and then by ebony stripes. Head of ivory, pegbox with ivory veneer and open-carved back; fingerboard and tailpiece inlaid with tortoiseshell, mother of pearl, and silver on ivory veneer; neck also inlaid. Made for Jan Willem, Kurfürst von der Pfalz (= Elector Palatine), (1658-1716). Badly damaged during World War II; repairs are not entirely satisfactory. Repair label: “Repariert in der / Schweiz. / Geigenbauschule / Brienz / Herbst 1949 / durch Ad. Konig” [handwritten]. Dimensions 68.0, 31.3/22.6/38.4, 13.0, -. Instrument is shown in a painting by Leopold von Schmutzler, 1864 (auctioned in 1969, current location unknown). Hellwig 2011 adds: 3-piece table, plus small wings of unequal width (4.3 vs. 1.5 cm) in lower bout; rib inlays of tortoiseshell and ivory; peg for top string is closest to nut; more recent conservation work by museum. Back widths 31.2/22.5/37.9; front with calipers 31.1/22.9/37.5. Decorations suggest original owner probably Kurfürst Maximilian II Emanuel von Bayern (Munich); only later to Mannheim, perhaps during reign of Kurfürst Carl Theodor von der Pfalz.