JOACHIM TIELKE // in Hamburg/ An. 1685 [small format, printed except 85]
No. of Strings:
34 (formerly 195)
Hellwig 2011, pp. 276-78; PT visit 10/78
Hellwig 2011, pp. 276-78; Hellwig 1980, pp.173-4; Heyde 1976, p.74; Breidert & Freyse 1964, p.36
Hellwig 2016, p. 177 (head 7/8); Hellwig 2011, pp. 276-77 (F+B body only, head 7/8 and back, soundpost plate [color]); Hellwig 1980, pp.173-4; (soundhole, head back, back ornament) Heyde 1976, p.73 (front 3/4); Breidert & Freyse 1964, pl. 4 (front 7/8)
Klug 1976 (Bach)
Hellwig 2011, TieWV 033; Hellwig 1980, no. 029. Table with ebony/ivory edging, double purfling, and rosette; back (arched and bent) with ivory edging, double purfling, and glued-on carved ornaments at top and bottom; bottom rib shortened. Neck, fingerboard, tailpiece, pegs, and rosette not original. Condition not good. Originally offered to Bach-Haus in cello conversion; later the supposed original head also offered, at which time both were acquired, then restored (before 1909); head probably later, c. 1695. Dimensions 66.0, 31.0/22.5/38.0, 12.0, - (to nearest half cm only?). Hellwig 2011 adds: 3-piece table with (4?) wings, arching deformed, soundhole notches perhaps original, old bass bar with horizontal growth rings; 3-piece back with 4-ply edging of ebony and ivory (purfling not mentioned) and small soundpost plate similar to Karp. Peg for top string probably originally closest to nut. Back widths 30.7/22.6/38.1. Converted to cello in 19th C, reconverted to viol before 1909 using a genuine but later head and pegbox; rosette completed by Fritz Röser 1925.